English Speakers of Other Language
The purpose of ESOL classes is to provide English language instruction to adult learners who are able to read and write in at least one language other than English. We prepare adult learners to use English for entering career and technical and/or postsecondary education, employment, and participation in the civic life in the United States.
Class Schedule (Choose one)
Morning: Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 11:00 am
Afternoon: Monday – Friday 11:30 am to 2:00 pm
Evening: Monday and Thursday 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Adult ESOL Course Standards
Students will demonstrate the English skills necessary to:
- Communicate effectively
- Understand issues related to civics, environment, and family in the U.S.
- Obtain and maintain employment, and advance in a career
- Understand consumer education issues
- Communicate effectively on health and nutrition topics
- To access transportation and travel effectively
- Understand safety and security issues
Review and Assessment
- Students will be assessed by pre- and post-test CASAS on reading and Listening.
- Future: English for Results curriculum: Every unit begins with a list of competencies to be covered.
The curriculum provides formal assessment on unit tests, midterm, and a final test.
Burlington English is a blended English program offering a wide range of Career Extensions. It provides training in all four language skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Adult ESOL is a non-credit course with six levels. The levels correlate with the six Educational Functioning Levels (EFLs) of the National Reporting System (NRS).
College and Career Readiness
The Adult ESOL College and Career Readiness course is non-credit. One Literacy Completion Point (LCP) is awarded upon satisfactory completion.
Literacy Skills for Adult ESOL Learners is a non-credit course that is designed to prepare students to communicate effectively, including reading and writing, in a multi-faceted society. This course is divided into three levels, with a Literacy Completion Point (LCP) awarded for each level completed.